10.12.13

This year's handmade teacher gifts

Yesterday after school, the girls and I made some mini terrariums to give to their school and kinder teachers as Christmas gifts.  Making a handmade gift for the children's teachers has become a little tradition here at FGB.  I purchased the jars from 'Provincial Living' for a few dollars and got the succulents, succulent potting mix, activated charcoal and pebbles from my local nursery.*  You can find a full tutorial here in the FGB archives.







Bear decided that he didn't want to give a terrarium to his teachers, so he and I made some of our cheat's chocolate Christmas puddings today to package up for his teachers as well as quite a few more to bring along to Christmas parties and to give to neighbours/friends.


I know handmade gifts are not for all, but I also know there are many who read this blog who share my love of handmade who may be looking for ideas so, along with the terrariums and chocolate puddings, here is a collection of handmade gifts that we've made in the past that would be perfect for Christmas gifts for teachers, neighbours or friends.  They are all simple enough for the kids to help with, inexpensive, can be made in bulk and more importantly, can be made last minute!  




Clay Decorations with their name imprinted








this tutorial is for Easter chocolates, but just switch the mould to a Christmas one and it is perfectly transferrable!




Other cool handmade teacher gift ideas that I've seen around the traps are these clay necklaces or teacup candles or bookmarks and to be honest I also think that a hand written card from your child letting the teacher know how much they have been appreciated could possibly be one of the best handmade gifts of all.

From a slightly different angle, a fabulous gift that I know a few friends have done is to give a charity gift card like this one for $10 which goes toward teacher training in a developing country or this one for $5 for education supplies.

Do your children give gifts to their teachers?
Am I the only crazy one who does handmade?



* I now have lots of soil, charcoal, pebbles and succulents left, so for those of you who know me in the off-blog world, if you would like to make some of these - feel free to pop over!

5 comments:

needleandspindle said...

No you are not crazy, just a big swot from way back, like me. I have knitted something for my son's teacher! I think I will try the clay ornaments for the kinder teachers.

Maxabella said...

I bet all the teachers fight over who gets to have your kids each year, Em. x

Bron said...

Fabulous ideas...we have done cookies in a jar for all my colleagues and a crayon monogram for the teacher...I love the terrarium...that may be next years gift.. Merry Christmas. xxxx

MissRosanna said...

Emma-the teachers are going to love their gifts!!! You are so clever-you have inspired me for next year 'made with love'. Love from Miss Rosanna x

Megan said...

You do such great presents Emma! I usually get given chocolates or wine by my students and their families but I have received a few handmade ones. I've got a mini quilt hanging, a leadlight Christmas ornament and a apple brooch made out of felt. The handmade touch is so lovely and I always appreciate and remember it more than choccies or wine.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails